A few months back I wrote a post about Lucas when he turned three. (You can read it here.) Well, today is Jaime’s birthday! He is turning thirty something. I’ll give you a hint. He’s slightly younger than me. Because I love him so much, I want to tell you about him so you can know him better too. So without further ado…
Here’s some things that make Jaime, Jaime!
- Jaime loves soccer. Playing, coaching, watching, following, fantasy soccer…he loves it all. I used to go watch him play when we were in high school, college and beyond, and he was pretty awesome. If Lucas decides to play soccer it will be a dream come true for Jaime.
- He loses things all the time. It’s true. If it weren’t for me, he wouldn’t know where anything was. If I had a dollar for each time I’ve heard the phrase, “Have you seen my…” I would be very, very wealthy.
- Jaime would be very, very wealthy if he had a dollar for every time someone commented on his hair, or whispered about it behind closed doors. It is thick, dark and beautiful, and he as worn it in a variety of styles over the years. The sculpted bed head phase was the one that got the most attention.
- He’s super smart. He knows a ton about music, geography, sports (not just soccer), and he’s a math whiz. Rumor has it he was doing multiplication in Kindergarten.
- Even though he’s super smart, he misues or misquotes idioms a lot. The rock might not quite make it between the hard place or the pot might call the kettle something other than black. It’s incredibly endearing and always makes me laugh. He’s a good sport about it.
- Jaime is very creative. He does a great job buying meaningful, thoughtful gifts and planning out special occasions. When he was a high school youth group leader he came up with great ideas for the meetings and planned fun activities. I’ve been told he’s an excellent coach and I suspect his creativity plays into that too.
- He is a fashionable dude. I have never, ever had to help him pick out clothes. He helps me pick out clothes regularly.
- Jaime is an incredible husband. We had no idea the challenges we would face when we said “I do” (he was only 22!), but he has been a rock. He is a very hard worker and goes way above and beyond what is required of most husbands to ensure that I am well rested, sane (this means he helps me with household tasks), and as healthy as I can be. He takes great care of me.
- He’s a wonderful dad, too. He is so hands on, that recently, when I left town for a few days, I didn’t leave him a single instruction. He knew just what to do. Lucas absolutely adores him and cries every morning when he leaves for work. Frequently, throughout the day I hear, “I want Daddy to be at the house.” There’s nothing else quite as wonderful as watching my two boys tearing around together, screeching, laughing, wrestling and being boys. It warms my heart.
It’s hard to remember exactly what life was like before Jaime. Afterall, we’ve been “together” for more than half of our lives now. I may have been more punctual, I only had to keep track of one set of possessions, my life was a bit more organized and planned out. But Jaime has brought so much joy, spontaneity, laughter, and fun into my life. He makes me feel cherished, protected, and loved. We are two very different people and that has made our marriage dynamic and interesting.
So happy birthday to the love of my life, my one and only, the apple of my eye, the bees knees and all the other relevant idioms he might misquote 🙂 I love you!